Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Anatomy of a Christmas Card


Thanksgiving rolls around, and it's time to start considering the question: WHAT ARE WE GOING TO WEAR FOR OUR CHRISTMAS CARD PHOTO?  This is the obvious consideration of every wife, and it's also the thought that has crossed no husband's mind, ever.

This year, I was giving Aaron the rundown on our outfits, which went something like this.  "So I was thinking I'll wear that new plaid shirt with a cardigan over it, of course, and you can wear your chambray shirt but I also think you wore that shirt last year in our Christmas card picture, so maybe you can wear that navy sweater we got in Chicago over the shirt, and Anna is going to wear her striped dress with the chambray bottom."  Breath.  "Do you think that sounds good?"

Aaron looked at me with a pained expression on his face.  "Babe, I have no idea what chambray is."

Record screech.

This is one of those moments where I realize where I've been living in an alternate universe in which my husband's brain thinks about the exact same things as mine.  But no, in the real universe, he's not wondering whether Mary is going to find another husband in season five of Downton Abbey.  Neither he is storing away the finer points of fashion trends, such as the identification of chambray.

This makes division of labor easy - I lay out all the outfits so no one has to wonder what chambray (or plaid?) is, and Aaron is a rockstar and gets himself and Anna ready while I spend thirty minutes curling my hair.

Then there are the pictures themselves.  Find a photographer: Mom, check.  Find a location: Mom's back yard, check.  Set up a time: "Hey Mom, we're coming over after church, and could you take a few photos for us?" Check.

A more accurate question would have been, "Hey Mom, we're coming over after church, and we'll need you to take at least a hundred photos for us in order to get one where Anna is smiling and I'm happy with my hair, and oh, we'll need you to make some funny snorty noises and possibly pull some dance moves in order to make Anna smile and look at the camera, does that sound okay?"




But hey!  We got the smile!  We got smiles, plural!





















Today I'm addressing the cards in between redressing Anna.


So far, she has wanted me to put on her coat, her hat, and swap out one of her boots for a brown flat. But, I'm not complaining.  She smiled for the Christmas card picture, and when you're 15 months old, that's no small thing.



4 comments:

  1. Girl you are totally hilarious!! : ) I'm visiting from FPFG link up and loved that I followed your "Anatomy of a Christmas Card" with my link to "The Evolution of a Christmas Tree"... a happy surprise after linking up. Haha! I think you did a great job with the outfit choice even if your beloved had no idea what chambray was... the nerve. : ) Happy Christmas! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the stop by! That is too funny about our titles. So great to virtually meet you. :)

      Delete
  2. You guys! Adorbs!!!!
    Do you believe I do not own a chambray shirt?
    Would your hubs let me borrow his????
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are officially cleared for the borrow. He is a little worried that it will be too big. Men's medium; how do you feel about slouchy? :)

      Delete