Monday, April 28, 2014

Sisters, Sisters


My sister lives approximately 6,000 miles away.  That's 8 time zones, 1 huge ocean, 7-10 countries (depending on how you read the map), 3 flights, 24 hours of travel time, and $1,684 away.

Some days I have a bad attitude about this.

Today might be one of those days.

My sister is my best friend, and I miss her.  I miss dropping by her house.  I miss babysitting my nieces and nephew.  I miss calling her up and saying, "Hey, do y'all want to eat dinner with us tonight?"   Skype is really cool, but it is a two dimensional screen.  There is a point at which two dimensional becomes a frustrating reminder of the 3-D body and bone I can't reach out and hug.



Loved having her home over the winter

They live in another country because they feel like that is where Jesus has called them, and there is no way I can say, "Nope, that's not what Jesus wants for you.  Come back home."

But the reason they're gone doesn't change how much I miss her.

Rachel Anne, I love you.  I think of you every day.  I am so proud of you for how you are living gracefully in a country you can't call your own.  I am proud of the mother you are to your kids, the patience you give them, the enthusiasm with which you teach them.  I am proud of how you support Nathan and find ways to help him flourish.

Peter, he wrote a truth for this ache.  Believe me when I say I'm not trying to wrap my words up with ribbon of trite.  Though you might think I exaggerate, I daresay what Peter wrote hits at the heart of every ache.  It's a broken world, and we are not home yet.  

Pilgrims and strangers.  Whether living in the Ozarks or close to the Mediterranean, our homes are just shadows of the Real.  And on that day when Rach and I are both dancing in the Best and the Brightest Home?

We won't ever need Skype again.


No comments:

Post a Comment