Saturday, April 5, 2014

Keep the Old

It's a grown-up moment when you realize that your college friends now qualify as "old" friends.  It has been ten years since I was a freshman at JBU, so that settles it.   A decade slides a friendship from the silver status into the gold.  


Meet Emily.  Emily lives in Tulsa, which is only 3 1/2 hours away from us, but life happens, and more often than not, roadtrips don't happen.  Emily and I met at JBU our freshman year and became solid friends our junior year.  Emily is my crazy-amazing-red-haired friend.  She and I once went on a double date wearing Wal-mart shirts emblazoned with "I go to school for the boys."  Our dates didn't think it was nearly as funny as we did.  Strange.

When Aaron and I heard that some Lake City friends were going to be at Emily's house, it was just the impetus we needed.  Road-trip!


Meet Amanda.  She and her kids were en-route to visit family in Alabama.  Amanda's husband stayed behind in Lake City because he is building their dream house with his bare hands.  (How are we friends with such cool people?)   Amanda is one of my mom heroes.  She parents her crew with such patience and doesn't get rattled easily.  They have chickens - I might have stolen my chicken dream from them.

Emily's parents graciously hosted us all.  Over the course of 24 hours, we ate amazing food, stayed up way too late talking, ate more incredible food, and Amanda and I had our hair done by Emily.  (Aaron declined.)  Emily's hair whiz skill is one of the many reasons I need her as my sister-in-law.  I'm on a mission to hook her up with Aaron's brother and secure her as my sister forever.



Just when you thought Emily couldn't get any cooler, let me tell you, she lives in a cabin in the woods.  A cute, tiny, cozy log cabin.  Her neighbors include Miss Kay, a socially awkward goat, and Chico, a miniature Sicilian donkey.  How great is that?  This is the stuff that novels are made of.  Watch out, Em.  I'm going to write a book about you and your animal friends.



Sadly, Chico did not want his picture taken. 

These friends are a treasure to us.  They are people who know us deeply, who have seen our dirt and love us still.  We don't have to try hard, we have history and inside jokes, and we can even sit in comfortable silence.

When winter's been long, a little road-trip and a lot of catching-up is just the remedy.  To old friends!


1 comment:

  1. Visit my blog because i think that you would like it :)

    ReplyDelete