Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Questions for the Sick (And if You're Feeing Fine, You Can Play Too)

First trimester of pregnancy with Anna -but pretty much what I look like today 


Oh man.

We are struggling through the common cold over here.  Mama seems to have it much worse than sweet baby, which Mama is glad of - although it does make taking care of sweet baby more challenging than usual.

It is sort of humorous to me that when I get sick, all the things that normally matter so much to me fly out the window.  Cleaning the house?  Getting dressed?  Cooking good food?  Brushing my teeth?  Those things very quickly go from normal to...

"Really?  Does anyone ever do those things?  That's so weird."

So here I am, plopped down in the middle of the couch, dirty tissue mounds surrounding me.  Aaron told me last night, "Wow, there's nothing sexier than walking into our bedroom and seeing dirty Kleenex on my side of the bed."  Yep, babe.  Did that just for you.

In honor of this sick day, I thought I would share a question that I asked Aaron last week.  This question can be used by all, sick and well alike.

"If you could only listen to three musicians for the rest of your life, who would they be?"

We decided that a band would count as a single musician.  After much deliberation - it is the rest of your life, after all - Aaron decided upon:

1. J.S. Bach
2. The Oh Hellos
3. Allison Krauss

And I landed on:

1. Waterdeep
2. Andrew Peterson
3. Rich Mullins

I love questions that let you peer into the hearts of those you love.  Music hits something deep in most everyone, and I think you can tell a lot about people by the music they love.  I wish I could have asked this question of my Uncle Dave, who now is with Jesus.  He would have had a strong opinion!  A frequent commenter on my blog, he no doubt would have chastised me in the comments for my choices, directing me instead to the musical talents of Van Morrison or Bob Dylan.

Another one of our favorite question templates is the "Would you rather..."  For example, I like to give Aaron two absurdly awful choices.  "Would you rather live in Outer Mongolia for the rest of your life or give up meat and music for the rest of your life?"

Be a dear and give this poor couch-confined gal some entertainment.  Tell me your three musicians...or your favorite question to ask.

Meanwhile, I'll just be over here rubbing essential oils under my nose, popping Zicam, and trying to find the dang Kleenex box.

And if I'm lucky, I might, just might, brush my teeth.

1 comment: