Wednesday, April 24, 2013

O for a faith that will not shrink


I love the words of old hymns.  I didn't grow up singing them.  No, the words of my childhood church memories are largely 80s praise choruses.  Our God is an awesome God, anyone?  Or anything by Dennis Jernigan?

Hymns and I became intimately acquainted in college.  I picked up a discarded church hymnal from a garage sale, and ever since, I've found many words to be an anchor and a compass, scribbling stanzas in journal after journal.

O for a faith that will not shrink.  I found this one last week.  It was a sweet and timely message for me.  If there was a word for 2013 so far, it would have to be change. There are actually just two changes, but added together, they create a large lot of uncertainty in a human heart.  First, the precious baby that was a surprise.  Second, it's our last year with K-Life.

As of today, Aaron doesn't yet have a job past May 16.  There are some possibilities, some better than others.  In the waiting, there have been tears and anger and fist-shaking.  There have also been moments of sweet surrender and peace.

We are growing.  

That is certain.


O, for a faith that will not shrink,
Though pressed by every foe,
That will not tremble on the brink
Of any earthly woe!

That will not murmur nor complain
Beneath the chastening rod,
But, in the hour of grief or pain,
Will lean upon its God.

A faith that shines more bright and clear
When tempests rage without;
That when in danger knows no fear,
In darkness feels no doubt.


2 comments:

  1. Lara, You have much faith, it's just that you're human like the rest of us and allow the idol factory to create doubt. I know, because I'm an experienced (old) expert at such cycles in my walk with Christ. Your Aunt Linda and I are praying for you and Aaron during this time. Congratulations on the "babe" (what if it's a boy?). Also, congratulations on the dog. I love dogs. They're great. But your Dad is right. As a reminder the Dad Guild states that we get wiser as our children get older. I think Carol Burnett and others said that. Aaron, ESPN is saying that the Royals are for real. I hope so for the sake of you Western Missourians. I'd like another I-70 Series. We owe you one. May God continue to bless both of you. Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Dave, thanks for your prayers. The babe is a girl! I guess I need to write a post about that. Aaron is pretty excited about the Royals. :)

    ReplyDelete