Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A love letter

This is the view out my kitchen window.

Now do you see why I like to wash dishes?

The funny thing is, our black walnut tree has never turned like this before.  In four falls, I don't remember it ever being vivid.  But this fall, I putter into the kitchen for morning coffee and glance out the window, and it takes my breath away.

I heard people say fall wouldn't be good for color this year.  The cloak of drought and heat had wrapped too tight and too long, they said.  And now, this.  A sky filled with fiery yellow and a ground laid fresh with bright carpet.   I love that God can do whatever He pleases.

It's a love song, this tree.  I can't stop peeking at it all morning as I wisp in and out of the kitchen, going down for laundry, washing a cup and a bowl, reheating leftovers for lunch.  I look out the window and breathe deep.  God, who can do whatever He pleases, sends the wind that blows the branches, and leaves scatter and whirl, and I hear it.  "I love you."

He is our God, and He will remind us forever, over and over.  Nearly ten thousand days worth I have had now, He chasing me with His wild love.   On this day, He woos again.  In the tree that never is yellow and suddenly is.



2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I love your tree. And you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that tree is gorgeous! I love your "washing dishes view." Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete