Friday, September 28, 2012

make your own chai mix and change your life

There will come a day when I will stop inundating you with posts about fall.  That day is not today.  

We love chai around here.  It is the number one hot drink that Aaron will partake of.  You know me, hot drinks are my love language.  They might even be my spiritual gift.  (Kidding.)  So anytime he'll drink something warm with me, it's a deal.  Done.  

The powdered chai mix at the store is expensive.  Last fall I googled how to make your own mix.  I clicked on the first page that came up and gave it a try.  It was good!  We made jars and jars of it.  We gave some away.  We kept a lot.  Our lives were changed.  We sat on the couch all day and had deep conversations whilst cupping hot mugs in our little paws.  Everything had that vintage Instagram tint to it, and Aaron even got a man cardigan.  Okay, so maybe that last half is a fat lie, but still...this mix is good.

Also, it's cheaper than buying the store mix.  Good, cheap = win, win.  

With the advent of fall yesterday, I clearly could not wait a day longer to change our lives this year.  Would you like to change your life too?  Here's the recipe.

Throw all the ingredients together.  I love the way the spices look.  It's a beautiful little thing.
  

(I have a cardamom problem.  Cardamom, hands down, wins the award for being the spice that most reminds me of India.  It's the prominent smell of their chai.  Also, they have these tasty cardamom biscuits (code word for COOKIES!) that cost something like 10 cents.  I buy cardamom at bulk stores to get it cheaper, but obviously, I forget what I already have.  Can someone remind me in 12 months that I already have plenty of cardamom?)


You grind everything up in a food processor or blender.  

Add three tablespoons to a cup of hot water.  Or you could use milk if you want double creaminess. 


Bam.  It's like liquid happiness. 


Now if you will excuse me, I think we have a long-overdue date with the couch...

4 comments:

  1. Is this a joke? Do you really think a picture of different spices really qualifies as a recipe? Give us the measurements, dog gone it. And bring some of that excess cardamom with you in Nov. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, oops, just noticed the link. Silly me. :) But I'm still serious about the cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I was already planning to bring you lots of chai in November! Why do you think I need an extra suitcase? I will add the cardamom...there is room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Your pics are working! Yah! Love reading your posts friend! Gordon made my Dad laugh. Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete