Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Last Hurrah (but there will be another)


A couple of months ago, I had an early morning epiphany. (I love the word epiphany; it is probably one of my top ten favorite words. Now that would be a fun list to make.) I dashed off an email to my three dear friends, and I'll let y'all read it in its unedited glory:

"OH MY GOSH I HAVE HAD AN AMAZING IDEA I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS DIVINE INTERVENTION AND YOU GUYS BETTER LOVE IT JUST AS MUCH!

Literally I am like bouncing off the walls right now.

Okay this idea came to me this morning during my morning devos, so I really think it might be from Jesus. :)

Kristen and Nicole are already planning to be in OKC for the Nomads conference April 29-May 1. So that just means that if Kyndel and I could get there, we could have a foursome reunion of the sweetest proportions before K and Nic leave for the Asian continent!!!!!!"

I really do believe the idea was from Jesus.

Somehow, He made last week's reunion happen, and we were all able to sneak away for a few days from our lives in Kansas, Colorado, Texas, and Missouri.


Our friendship is about to turn 8 this year. I wrote about these women here, when we celebrated Kyndel's wedding in October. For four years, we were able to race down the hallway or, at most, across campus, to share something exciting or ask for prayer or cry or jump crazy from couch to couch.

For the next four years, we did those same things over Facebook, email, cell phone calls, and weekend reunions.

Things are about to change.

I tear up when I think about the changes coming. Nicole and Kristen are both moving before summer's end. In the world's judgement, it would seem they are throwing their young and lovely lives away. Moving to countries where oppression and poverty abound is not exactly most people's idea of a good life. I am so proud of my friends who are following Jesus into the hardest earthly circumstances, and who do so with joy and excitement and peace.

So we met in Oklahoma City for three days, and we laughed and remembered and prayed and even argued a little. (Making matching shirts at 12 am was maybe not the best timing...)

We ate our way through Oklahoma City. Thai and tacos and cupcakes and Chik-fil-a and Cheesecake Factory take-out.


We shared marriage stories and prayer needs. Tears were shed, and it was so sweet! (Only a woman would write that sentence.) There are few things more cathartic than crying in the presence of a comfortable friend.

I love you, girls. You have been the presence of Christ to me in some of my darkest hours. You spur me on. You make me want to love our God more.

2 comments:

  1. Lara,

    As your mom, I have loved these girls along with you, and I thank God for such beautiful, steadfast soulmates in the Lord. May the Lord lovingly lead each one of you as you seek to walk in His perfect will for your lives.

    Glad you got to celebrate your friendship again in OKC! God is good! By the way, how did those midnight skirts turn out? :)

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, I'm so glad you blog about such events. I mean, I know they are epic, as do we all. But somehow, having it in writing on your blog, confirms it to the world. :)

    Love you. You might want to tell your sweet mom that we made matching "shirts" not "skirts" :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete