Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This Good Story


We are reading through the Bible chronologically, which is an adventure I have never embarked upon before. I've almost made it to the Promised Land; I'm in Deuteronomy. I can't say enough cool things about a chronological reading of God's story--it brings forth His sovereignty and purpose in a way I have never seen before. I'm a bird, perched in the thin, white pages of the NIV, and the tree-top view makes me want to shout robustly: I will always trust you, God! But, in present time, in the life before it's history, I'm an ant, and limited vision makes it wickedly hard to trust sometimes.

Deuteronomy 6-8 is the backdrop for these thoughts. Moses is instructing the people on belief and action, on who they see God as and how they should live as His people.

I see it so clearly in the story of the Israelites: the absurdity of their unbelief and disobedience laid out next to their magnificent, awe-ful God, the Deliverer and the Giver. Yet the ridiculous transfers, a drawing traced into my own book. The same ugly, heavy strokes of those adulterous people are pressed upon my pages. Couldn't they see? I mourn as I leaf the log of the desert-hemmed people. The call of a Holy God, affectionate and loving to a race He plucked out of obscurity and little. The turned back of a nation, reading His kindness as harm and His way of life as path of death.

But who's to say the observer of my life could not utter the same? Can't she see? The thing which she names bad, no it is Good, and the hard thing she skirts the edge of, it is for her Best, and the grocery budget she frets over because there are always so many people to feed, it is her manna, for is their cupboard ever empty? She grumbles against this land, these frustrating circumstances, and if she would just take off those heirloom Israelite glasses, spectacles of fear and doubt and mulishness, what would she see?

The cry of Moses to the throng is the beckoning for me too--here, now, Tuesday of normal that could be holy.

Do not forget the Lord your God.

By His hand He has brought you.

Do not dare to think any of this: the car, the house, the clothes not even shabby or threadbare, the husband, is the fruit of your own labor.

It is all from Him and the heart that builds its nest next to His throne finds that it is more than enough.

The story is good, Israel.

The story is good, Lara.

Trust and believe.

4 comments:

  1. Lara,
    I have been reading your blog for some time now. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet you in my little apartment on a Friday evening when you ventured to Ohio to spend some time with Sheila before she left for India. I love your writings and several of them have ended up printed from the computer and pasted in my journal. Why attempt to resay something that someone else has said so beautifully, so eloquently, so genuinely. I love the idea of reading through the Bible chronologically and wondered if you are using any aides as you do this. My email is amandaruple@gmail.com
    Thanks Lara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, ditto to what Amanda said. I LOVE your reflections. I see a book in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write just like my "favorite Ann" of the holyexperience blog. If you don't read it, you should. You two would be friends. I just know it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many guys use Oakley Frogskin for just two good czw6rf reasons : seeking excellent and also guarding face. Yet buying the completely wrong head wear or perhaps Oakley Frogskins can easily eliminate the frame of mind. This informative article looks at several 7 getting suggestions. Ensure you might be investing in a great couple of fantastic seeking Oakley Jawbones in which can feel normal on your own face. They need to furthermore offer you a sense regarding success. Thus test to find out Oakley Jawbonethe design or perhaps dimensions right for an individual. When you have a smaller confront, you need to be sporting more compact Cheap Oakley Sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete