Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Burning Leaves and Thoughts

Yes, I, Aaron, understand that it is January 26th and the rest of the northern hemisphere usually burn leaves in the fall. I have procrastinated and also fell behind all the falling leaves that I burned once and then reappeared on our yard.

They were wet and hard to start. Just took some patience and a revelation. We've been talking about with my small group of guys how God displays His invisible attributes, eternal power and divine nature through what is made (Romans 1:20). We have realized how much we miss when we don't stop and look. It's not that it's not there. It's that we're not seeing it. Not looking for Him. So today, as I struggle to get the soggy mess of brownness and managed only smoke, a gentle breeze moved in from the west.

In Greek, the word for wind is the same as spirit (phonetically sounds like pnooma with a silent p), the same word for the Holy Spirit. Now I'm not saying that God started the fire, not saying He didn't. But He definitely reminded me that while I may be "doing" something for Him, it usually just results in smoke. But the necessary things you need for a fire are fuel, heat, and oxygen - "pnooma." We need His Spirit to live, to breath, to do His work. And as all we have to do is ask: "If you (people) then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"
---
While we've had snow in recent days, today was out of the ordinary it seemed. Honestly, it felt like spring was arriving. The birds humming an old tune that once was so familiar but now almost forgot. Warmth beamed onto my face as the sun squinted my eyes for the first time in a while.

It was refreshing. Rejuvenating (I had to use spell check to get this word right. Lara and Mrs. Russell my junior english teacher would be ashamed). I had visions of long bike rides, especially thanks to talking with Dr. Harris about those rides, it being light time 6:30pm and just being outside. The excitement of using my new Eno hammock.

And then it dawned on me, it's still January. "Beware the Ides of March" Caesar was once warned before he was stabbed to death (at least according to Shakespeare); but it's not even February yet. Winter will come once again. The spring blooms will stay dormant and dead for a while longer.

And this we hope for. Early buds quickly wither by winter's Battle of the Bulge. Even Jesus warns us about that quick sprout (even though He isn't talking about the frost) that comes up quickly with the word in joy but has no bearings, no roots.

We must wait. Enjoy this glimpse of new life but continue to bear into God when all seems dead and cold. It's only a season. It will be spring. But right now, I'll enjoy this time.



Who doesn't like pictures of the niece and nephew (if you say you don't, I'll come hunt you down. Ok, just kidding... but really)


1 comment:

  1. I would be happy Sometimes the blog

    http://dl3mashael.blogspot.com/2011/01/we-believe-jesus-peace-be-upon-him-we.html

    http://dl3mashael.blogspot.com/2011/02/concept-of-christian-trinity-former.html

    http://dl3mashael.blogspot.com/2011/02/styles-glow-styles-photoshop-styles.html

    ReplyDelete