Thursday, November 4, 2010

many small treasures

As I write this, Aaron is asleep on the couch next to me. It's almost midnight in Central Standard Time, and this scenario is an odd one for us. I'm usually the one begging to go to bed. At 9:30. But tonight I had a project to work on, and now I'm on a staying-awake roll, so why not just capitalize on a very rare feeling and churn out a blog post?

Life has been full of many small treasures lately. Perhaps I am rounding a corner on the contentment path, finding a new leveling-out after jaunting off to Colorado and returning to normal life. It is good. I am filled with joy at the simplest things. Praise God who has put this joy in my heart and given me a growth-spurt of the thanksgiving list.

In no certain order, a few of the treasures of this season:

Packing this many people (and a few more you can't see behind me) into our dining room for a pumpkin-carving extravaganza. The fun night happened to correspond nicely with our timing to strip, sand, and refinish our dining room furniture. See, hon? There is a silver lining. So much empty space for pumpkin guts and seeds to fly and for creative minds to let loose.


A selection of the great pumpkin faces that came out of that creative shell of a dining room.


Playing in the leaves with this beautiful girl. I believe she told Aaron that she would hide under the leaves, and he would sit on her because she was an egg. Aaron (gender disregarded), would be the hen that would bring her cracking out. To which Aaron replied, "I think that would hurt you." To which she scrunched up her nose and said, "Yeah, but I'm berry brave."

Don't forget playing in the leaves with this little booger. Who does not quite claim the bravery of his older sis yet and finds being thrown in the pile a little disconcerting. But you wouldn't know it from this face.

Mini pumpkin-chocolate-chip muffins. Is one allowed to eat these for breakfast? Just call it a muffin and it's got to be okay. And I'm 26, so I should be able to decide what I'm going to eat for breakfast. I want these. They taste amazing. They taste like fall. How does a muffin exceeding no more than 1 1/4" in diameter encapsulate all of fall, you ask? I don't know. But believe me, and then go google a recipe and make some of your own.


Gerbera daisies that are STILL blooming! Thank you, mild fall. I like this arrangement we have. Warm enough that my flowers don't freeze and I can run in shorts, but chilly in the mornings and nippy at night.

Dates with this blue-eyed cutie. We are okay with most of our dates ending up at Chick-fil-a. We always try to explore our other options, but the waffle fries and tender chicken patties lure us back every time. The Chick-fil-a sauce is a draw too. And the nice cashiers that always say, "My pleasure." Makes me feel good about eating so many waffle fries. Yes, you're right, Mr. Cashier Man. It is a pleasure!


What treasures are you collecting in your days?

No comments:

Post a Comment