Monday, September 13, 2010

SALSA!!

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but this morning I found a dead armadillo in our yard, belly up. All four little paws stiff in the air. Isn't that gross? I asked Aaron to "take care of it", but I forgot he had just gotten up, and he doesn't even eat breakfast until at least 30 minutes after waking, much less dispose of dead armadillos.

We called animal control. Meanwhile, I wanted to take a picture and share, but my discretion won out.

Annnnyway, salsa anyone? Because I have a great recipe. This recipe comes from my friend Amanda. She lives in Lake City, and when I had her salsa this summer, I swore off Pace and Taco Bell and the generic store brands forever. Amanda is an amazing mom and wife, and she's funny, and she really, really likes coffee too. See? She's great.

Amanda's Salsa

7-8 fresh tomatoes or 28 oz. canned
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1/2 - 1 onion
2 T. lemon juice
1-2 serrano peppers (or 1/2 poblano pepper for less spice)
1 tsp. cumin
salt to taste (I use around 1 tsp.)
splash of red wine vinegar

The great thing (well, one of the great things) about salsa is that even if you buy tomatoes for it from a nice guy who set up a roadside stand and then forget about them for 2 weeks while they languish in the back of your fridge, it will still taste okay. I may be speaking from personal experience. This time, I also threw in some grape tomatoes I had that were about to go bad.

Cut up the onion. Cut the stalks off the cilantro. Cut up your pepper of choice. Add everything but the tomatoes and throw it in a food processor or blender. Give it several good pulses. It will look sort of like pesto. Dump it in a big bowl.

If you use canned crushed tomatoes, then this next step isn't necessary. But, if you're using fresh tomatoes, cut them up and then press the juice out in a strainer. This is what mine looked like after pressing. This is to make the salsa less watery. My mom told me that Roma tomatoes have less juice than regular tomatoes, so if you use Romas, you won't have to press them as much.
Give the tomatoes 1 or 2 pulses in the food processor. The more you pulse, the juicier they will become. Less pulsing = less watery salsa. Mix the tomatoes with the green mixture, and that's it!

Then your husband will make faces like this and kiss his fingers with joy, and you will feel like a million bucks. Plus the salsa will taste super yummy. Win win situation.

To end as I begun (with a total topic change), Aaron and I are reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. If you've never heard of it that's okay...you should still check out this video. Go to http://www.crazylovebook.com/videos_awe.html and watch "The Awe Factor of God." It's not very long, but it's good. Wow! God is big and holy and more than we know. It's good to sit with that truth for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lara, just so you know, I haven't been anywhere near your yard with a hoe, so the dead armadillo isn't my fault.

    ReplyDelete