Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A quote to chew on

Read from Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline this morning. We just got our new laptop in yesterday (my 7 year old college Dell blue-screens every week or so, and oh yeah, I spilled water on the keyboard). The lure to play with our new toy rather than read the Word was prettttty strong. Guess a book about discipline is just what I need.

"Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people."

And this:

"In our contemporary society our Adversary majors in three things: noise, hurry, and crowds. If he can keep us engaged in 'muchness' and 'manyness', he will rest satisfied."

In the first chapter of his gospel, John writes that he has seen the glory of the One and Only. That struck me this morning in light of Foster's thoughts. Have I seen the glory of the One and Only? He is available for radical and intimate relationship, this God who splayed out the heavens in one day. And yet I choose to know and be known by

so

much

else.

The thought I grapple with today: superficiality and busyness very often obstruct my view of Glory.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Foster's books. Thanks for the reminder of the joy and beauty that is to be found in discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh heck yes...hello, need to hear that. I remember underlining the first quote when I read through Celebration of Discipline last winter.

    ReplyDelete