Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Obedience

Convicted this morning by James 2:14-17.

What good is it , my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

How am I caring for the poor?

Faith without action is no faith at all, James says.

It is the empty frame of a car, oooh, nice leather seats, power windows and locks, but whoops, no motor to get it up and running.

I keep looking for some type of artful compromise...
A deal we can perhaps work out, God and I...

50/50

40/60

Some quota where I can draw the line.
There.
Enough has been given,
righteousness achieved,
I feel good; God is pleased.

I don't think it works like that.
He wants all of me.
"None of what you have is truly yours," a whisper comes.

But I've spent weeks, months, listening to the wrong whisper:
"Find fulfillment in what you have."
"Glean comfort from these trinkets and tchotchkes you gather around you."
"Count them, number them, insure them, protect them."

A cushion created that surely is comfortable.
A callousness created that surely suffocates my soul.

Is this what Jesus meant by
abundant life?

A house, a car, a set of matching dishes, 300-thread count sheets?

I don't think it is.

Daily surrender is my lesson here lately.

God is prying my heart from the things that have become my treasure, things that, sadly, shamefully, will be taken by moth, rust, and flame in a few decades.

It's hard. I don't deny it.

It's not a one-time sacrifice. I won't buy that shirt so that I can send a check to missions.
It's not even a quota.

The Jesus Scripture portrays doesn't seem to be too interested in the occasional offering.

Seems He wants my life. All of it.

My obedience.

Open up the doors I've closed off, Jesus. Throw my tables over. And let Your whisper resound in my heart, louder and louder and louder:

"Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed. A man's life does not consist in the abundance of his posessions...Provide purses for yourself that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted...What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I needed to hear this. You are so insightful. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete