Monday, May 17, 2010

Giving

Those red words are so full. I've read them, and still I read them, but do I live by them?

What if I really believed Jesus in Luke 6:38?

Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

We were at a graduation party last night for one of our senior K-Life guys. After food and playing outside, a group of ladies plopped themselves down by the kitchen to talk and laugh. One of the little girls, not yet 4, was trying to take a rubber snake from another kid. Her mom, a gentle woman I respect a lot, stopped her. "Honey," she said. "We don't take toys; we give them. We are givers."

That really caught me. I've heard parents tell their children not to take toys away, but I've never heard a three-year-old encouraged to give at the point at which it hurts her.

I wondered, this morning as I read Jesus's words, how much I live that way. I don't take things from people, but am I an active giver? What if I gave and gave and gave and considered it a joy? What if I believed in God's economy--that the measure I receive is directly in proportion to what I give? That is a radical thought, and it rubs against my view of "grace", which actually, if I am honest, really translates as my view of what God "owes" me. Isn't He supposed to bless me because I am His child? Whoa. Whoa.

No where does the Bible say God has to bless me materially. In fact, the Gospels seem to indicate that following Him results in quite the opposite. So, this makes me think:

Do I know You, Jesus?

He has said a lot of things that I do not daily remember. He has said a lot of things that I, we, have tried to water down. Well, maybe He meant giving emotionally, giving our time, our energy. I'm sure He did. But read verse 30 of Luke 6 and tell me you don't think He wants us to give our possessions too.

What kind of Jesus have I been guilty of crafting on my own? Is it me that Christ was speaking of when later on in verse 46, He says:

Why do you call me, Lord, Lord, and do not do what I say?

My response to that should be:

1) Do I know what Jesus has said?

and

2) Am I doing it?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these insights. You've given some good food for thought - a helpful topic to reflect on.

    ReplyDelete