Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving thanks (two days early)

I am thankful for the way the sun breaks open gray clouds and creeps through clear spaces of sky. Light and dark, simultaneously existing. I am thankful for the brown bony finger branches of naked trees.

I am thankful for my husband who kisses me extra long and cannot help but boyishly revel in his latest Boggle victory. I am thankful for guitar jam sessions on the couch with him by my side. Forever.

I am thankful for my mom. A cup of evening tea in my living room, she shares her wisdom, stored and stowed over the span of decades. She is an anchor to me.

I am thankful for a job that is sometimes quiet, allowing me to blog or look at beautiful design pictures or read.

I am thankful for the thin places where God appears. I realize I have been running, but He has not, and to my amazement, His grace is wrapping me up once more.

I am thankful for mountains. Just knowing that they are, and if I were to drive across Kansas, I would see them striding forewards into my windshield.

I am thankful for Abby and Drew. Abby who already uses words like "impressive" at two and Drew who smiles and then bashfully turns his face away.

I am thankful for my brother who gives me a big hug when tears roll down my face. He sits by me at important soccer games and explains (again) what "offsides" is.

I am thankful for my dad, a hard worker and a tender Poppa. Strength and love are never a fanfare for him, but a daily, faithful reality.

I am thankful for my sister. We both get so excited to tell the other one what has happened, but there is always enough time, and I never feel as if I am jockeying for speaking rights. We talk (sometimes spurt), we listen. It is sweet.

I am thankful for little creperies and coffee houses and cafes, sandwiched into a business district and just the right amount of busy to make you feel that you are about to discover something wonderful. Finding joy in little mounds of whipped cream peaked just right and conversation with a dearly loved.

A few of the things I've noticed lately that make my heart jump. In no particular order.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete