Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I have become...

...one of those people who watches American Idol.

I felt the need to make this confession public.

I don't watch it every week. But golly, it truly is entertaining.

I needed a quote I had pasted in an old journal today. I found the quote, and I read some other things too. Got caught up in my senior year of college--the last month of pain and wonder and hoping for the future like a crazy child. It's good to read what happened two years ago, because it reminds me that God is big. I have clung to His promises, and He has proved true. I need reminding of that.

I'm very discouraged about teaching. We have three days left until Spring Break. I cannot, for the life of me, remember why I wanted to do this teaching gig. I get so stressed about school that I get these awful headaches, and then I start to think that I am having a brain aneurism. (That's another big confession for public viewing.) But God is TRUE. The enemy wants to distract us from truth. His aim is to shrink our scope down to a tiny, tiny hole, a hole that is focused on ourselves and our miserable lot. Isaiah 26:3 is TRUTH. Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee. In the Lord's grace, He is teaching me to "stay" my mind this week.

I want to share the quote that sparked my journal perusal today. It's from the writings of Jim Elliot. May God light a holy fire under us.

"We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the 20th century does not reckon with. But we are harmless and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle to the death with principalities and powers in high places...We are 'sideliners'--coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged. The world cannot hate us--we are too much like its own. Oh that God would make us dangerous!"

From American Idol to Jim Elliot. There's my full circle tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Oh friend. I can understand your thoughts on teaching and how hard it is. May the Lord grant you grace and patience as you faithfully serve his children. I know every morning I have to pray for strength to make it through the day. When I am praying that for myself, I'll try and remember to pray that for you as well too. Love you. Hang in there. Some years are easier then others.

    ReplyDelete