Monday, February 23, 2009

Singing the song of Miriam and Moses

At night, my thoughts swirl around like so much muddy water. Tired. Weary. Lesson plans. Grading. Good grief, I grade my life away. Miss people. Do I have recess duty tomorrow? Arm hurts. Should help Mom with the dishes. So tired. Fraction of who I want to be. Hmm, forgot to do laundry. Tomorrow?

I am amazed that there is always a Word for my need. Spoken into my exact spot on the time/space continuum, written ages ago. Tonight it's Exodus 15:2-3, 13.

"The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise Him,
my father's God, and I will exalt Him.
The LORD is a warrior;
the LORD is His name.
In Your unfailing love You will lead
the people You have redeemed.
In Your strength You will guide them
to Your holy dwelling."

Yes.

How good it is.

How good He is.

Were it not for His power, would we have hope? Praise You, Father God, for You are strength to the weak.

_______

On a lighter note, this funny thing happened a few nights ago. "The Lord is a warrior," Exodus says. Caedmon's Call says it too. Do any of y'all know that song on the "In the Company of Angels" CD? "The Lord is a warrior, the Lord is mighty indeed." Aaron had put the CD player on shuffle as we made potato soup, and that song came on.

"Doesn't this song ever strike you as odd?" he said. I lifted my eyebrow. The Lord is a warrior. We both agree with that, right? Seemed pretty scriptural to me.

"Um," I said.

"I mean," he continued, "It's got guitars and flutes. I feel like I'm a jester in a court, not like the Lord is a warrior. A warrior!" He gave a grunt. Next thing I knew, he broke out the William Wallace brogue and started pumping his fist in the air. "The Lord is a WARRIOR! We will follow Him! We will fight for Him!"

I laughed so hard my laughter turned silent. And then we looked over to the kitchen window. My mom was peering in, watching Aaron with a mixture of confusion and amusement.

Aaron stopped the fist-pump in midair and slouched against the counter. He poked the spoon in the soup pot. "It's got flutists in the background."

Boys. There's something about their kind that I don't quite get yet. :) I have a feeling I'm in for some more surprises.

1 comment:

  1. You make me cry then laugh in one blog entry. What would I have ever done w/o you and your able writing skills. Love you MUCH!

    ReplyDelete