Monday, February 2, 2009

Perpetual Wonder

I'm giving myself ten minutes to write this post. I am at school. My class is in P.E., and bother, I ought to be grading papers or planning lessons.

Ten minutes.

Okay. Well, Aaron and I have made a pretty big decision. Yay for the joyful struggle of discussing things, opening hearts up and laying forth what's within, praying together over options, and learning to be quick to listen and slow to speak. Harder for me than him, I believe.

We've decided to stay in Bolivar next year. Aaron is going to stay on staff with K-life, a youth discipleship organization, and I will be his right-hand woman. I've decided not to teach again, as I want to be involved in kids' lives with Aaron, and teaching would pit my schedule against his very seriously. (I still, however, harbor dreams of becoming a coffee-shop barista.)

Of course this means that you have an open invitation to come and visit our little home. It will be very little, happily mirroring the size of our little town. Lest you doubt, let me assure you that good things come in small packages. Bolivar being no exception. I can take you to the Dunnegan Park, the Dunnegan Art Gallery, the Square, the Tea Garden, and the McDonalds. Also the Wal-mart. But really...um...enough of the attractions. The biggest draw, by far, is human hearts and smiles and warmth and welcome. All of which we offer aplenty. So please come. From near and far. We would love to open our home to you. (May I clarify that we don't have a home yet and won't until July, but after that, let the floodgates open.)

I am at peace with staying, but that doesn't mean my heart is always compliant. Sometimes it rises up, in those middle-of-the-night sweaty moments when you second guess every decision or in the wistful yearning of reading other people's adventures. This negates my scheme to draw visitors, but the honest truth is that Bolivar isn't really an adventure. I am learning that is okay.

"The things that Jesus did were of the most menial and commonplace order, and this is an indication that it takes all God's power in me to do the most commonplace things in His way...All the ordinary sordid things of our lives reveal more quickly than anything what we are made of. You do not know what you are going to do; the only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing...It is this attitude that keeps you in perpetual wonder--you do not know what God is going to do next."
-Oswald Chambers

The only thing I know is that God knows what He is doing, and contentment is proof I gladly accept that truth.

Blessings to you all!

3 comments:

  1. Lara, thanks for the Chambers quote. Much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, friend - oh, how I can relate! I wonder every day if my life is small and simple because I've followed Jesus into it or because I haven't been brave. I'm learning a lot about which set of values should define me... thanks for letting me have a glimpse of your own lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, i like the idea of Bolivar. small town, cool park nearby, southwest Missouri, close to Branson. :) i think it's a great place to set up housekeeping, and i'm glad you and Aaron will be there come June.

    as far as the getting off early is concerned, we'll see. it ain't looking that great, but God is a God of surprises.

    ReplyDelete