Friday, September 26, 2008

From the teacher's desk

I miss you, friends. Those of you who still might be reading these occasional thoughts, I miss you. I wish we lived closer.

I am at school right now. It is Friday. Fridays are to teachers as chicken leg bones are to dogs. Or something like that. :) My kids are reading; Fridays they have D.E.A.R. time (Drop Everything and Read), because heaven knows they don't do that any other time of the week. I am grading memory verse tests. Our memory verse this week was this:

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life must lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.'"
-Matthew 16:24-25

Weighty stuff for sixth graders. From their tests, I can tell that some of them achieved the first level of Bloom's taxonomy, knowledge, but how to move them past that? To get them to see Jesus' words as more than two sentences they reproduce for a red number in my gradebook?

I was praying for my class this week. We've been studying linking verbs and the four principal parts of a verb in Language. I want them to know those things, because in the end, that knowledge will make them better writers, and if you can write well, you can impact the world. But my plea for them is that if they never remember a linking verb after the test, they will come to know Jesus in a deeper way through this year. That is my heart's desire.

Do you ever want to give something to dear ones because you know they need it, but you also know they just have to find it themselves?

2 comments:

  1. My dear teaching friend. I still love reading your blog and the last post you made I understood what you were saying. I love writing in my journal, but teaching takes a lot of time, and there isn't a lot of time for self reflection. Love you friend. I would love to see you teaching! I am sure that you are a great teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, it's good to see you blogging again. I was beginning to get worried! :)

    I'm glad you've discovered the joy, beauty, frustration, and challenge of teaching. As you mentioned in the last post, it is probably the hardest thing I've ever done too! Just remember...the first year makes the second year look like cake!

    Is the Atacama desert in Chile?

    much love from the green, flooded desert...

    bn

    ReplyDelete