Saturday, March 29, 2008

wonder hunt

"I was thinking about how beautiful the color of green is."
-Rich Mullins

I went for a walk yesterday. I've been trying to cultivate eyes to see beauty in creation. I read Rich Mullins' biography last week and made a resolution to look as he did. He saw laughter in moonlight and redemption in prairies. Many days, I travel with blinders on, my mind a long checklist and my thoughts frenzied bellboys hopping from bullet to bullet.

So. A solitary walk after a full day of teaching first graders. Not an exercise to burn calories, not a way to get from point A to point B, but instead, an effort to see, a pause to listen.

Firstborn daffodils sprung up from grey ground.
Bare trees lined up for roll call against the horizon.
Buds blooming red out of naked brown limbs.

And even the rocks cry out.

1 comment:

  1. the trees in the school courtyard are revealing their green leaves once again, and it brings me joy every time i truly "see" them. you're right, Lara. nature just shouts God's goodness.

    ReplyDelete