Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Hold up my arms

It's an Andrew Peterson song, and it circles through my thoughts today.

"Hold up my arms, like Moses in the desert, when the battle went long"

I feel the holding. It's a reality I have to re-direct my mind back to again and again, but it is there. I am being held. You are being held. And the hands that hold us are not hands which we must fear failing us. This grip on us is not one which might loosen at any moment, releasing us into the darkest and deepest of pits.

There is a jingle we sing at the Mother Teresa house when it is a volunteer's last day. It goes a little something like this...

"We thank you, thank you, thank you,
We thank you, thank you, thank you,
We thank you, thank you, thank you
from our heeeaaarrrtttt"

(You have to stretch the word "heart" out for a very long time.)

This are the words that I give to you, my friends and family. In a week that was the hardest I've yet had in Kolkata, I have felt huge measures of care and support through your emails.

What beautiful things I am learning in the heartache and struggle. All shall be most well.

3 comments:

  1. Lara, I LOVE that Andrew Peterson song and have needed it from time to time as well. Brian and I prayed for you last night. We prayed that you would leave India with a joyful and grateful heart, and without bitterness. Thank you for pouring your heart out here. We cannot WAIT to see you in Joplin.
    ><>annie<><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what Andrew peterson song you're speaking of! I can relate to that one right now too. Hey, did you know there are other laracasey websites? One is a fashion/wedding coordinator thing and some other one. You're famous:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis, I'm praying that our generous Lord would glorify himself in you through the gift of your dependence upon him.

    In suffering (and in witnessing suffering) is the eye of our soul opened for our need of Him. Keep that eye trained on Him, He knew suffering so well.

    ReplyDelete