Friday, October 5, 2007

teach me...

"Teach me Your way, O Lord,
that I may walk in Your truth;
unite my heart to fear your name."
-Psalm 87:11

Teach me Your way, O Lord, in this city.
In this strange and sometimes scary land, teach me Your way.
Teach me Your way, O Lord, as I pass the faces, the faces with no names, the faces whose names You know, the faces with names and hearts and dreams, all of which You know.
Teach me Your way, O Lord
, when the pain is intense and shocking,
when the little girl watches her parents die and then comes to my classroom,
when the woman is digging through the trash on the side of the road, looking for food maybe yet edible,
when the young teenager pulls at my sleeve, asking, "Milk for the baby, seester? Please, seester?"
Teach me Your way, O Lord, in the sun-spots of joy,
in Raju who always wants a hug and always has a smile,
in community night with my team, meals of American food and stories to make us all laugh,
in laughing with Sheila one more time as we fall asleep.
Teach me Your way, O Lord, as I search for You in Your word,
clinging to promises like I've never clung before,
praying for things I cannot see,
hoping for the end when Love Wins.

One thing I ask of You, oh Lord,
to dwell with You
in Kolkata or small-town America
to know Your heart
to learn Your ways
to love Your name

No comments:

Post a Comment