Sunday, October 14, 2007

from Nepal

"I think if I had to be frozen in one position for the rest of my life, I would be holding a mug."
-Hannah

My love affair with coffee has been rekindled. Thank you, Nepal, for a wonderful cup of real coffee this morning. I like you, Nepal. I like your menus with filtered coffee. I like your rooftop terraces. I like your streets that are a little bit quieter than those of your southern cousin, Kolkata.

My team arrived in Kathmandu yesterday. We are spending today, Tuesday, and Wednesday in the city, and then we will be at a WMF staff retreat for the rest of the week. It's good to be here. As my sister said in one recent email, "Sister, you are going to Nepal and living in India. Doesn't that just blow your mind sometimes?" Yes, yes it does. I am newly 23, but most of the time, I feel more like I am 17 or 18. I think, what in the world am I doing in south-east Asia, within sight of Mt. Everest? Crazy, but cool.

Please pray for my ear. I have had a nasty infection for over a month now. I thought it was getting better, but then the pain came back, so I'm now on a 2nd round of antibiotics.

I was reading in 1 Corinthians this morning and found this:

"For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

What would it look like here to know nothing but Jesus Christ and His death? It would take away my compulsion to prove myself. It would bulldoze my pride. It would remove my need to see enormously successful results. It would simplify things a whole lot.

Paul continues,

"And I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God."

In weakness? In fear? I read that, and it feels like I am reading a description of my time in Kolkata! I am there, in weakness, in fear, with knees that knock at the unknown, with a quivering and timid heart. But this is not about me! My renewed prayer of today is "Jesus, come and show Your power, because this is all about You."

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with that quote about holding a mug. I'm glad that you were able to get coffee. Enjoy the rest of your time in Nepal. Love you friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lara, Annie and I thought you might be encouraged by this prayer of Mother Theresa we shared with a friend:

    "Dearest Lord, may I see you today and every day in the person of your sick, and, whilst nursing them, minister unto you.

    "Though you hide yourself behind the unattractive disguise of the irritable, the exacting, the unreasonable, may I still recognize you, and say: “Jesus, my patient, how sweet it is to serve you.”

    Lord, give me this seeing faith, then my work will never be monotonous. I will ever find joy in humouring the fancies and gratifying the wishes of all poor sufferers.

    O beloved sick, how doubly dear you are to me, when you personify Christ; and what a privilege is mine to be allowed to tend you.

    Sweetest Lord, make me appreciative of the dignity of my high vocation, and its many responsibilities. Never permit me to disgrace it by giving way to coldness, unkindness, or impatience.

    And O God, while you are Jesus my patient, deign also to be to me a patient Jesus, bearing with my faults, looking only to my intention, which is to love and serve you in the person of each one of your sick.

    Lord, increase my faith, bless my efforts and work, now and for evermore, Amen.
    "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious Friend:
    A note to say I will be praying for you (including your ear). Our church has just begun a journey through 1 Corinthians. I loved your thoughts here - how applicable to our day.

    And thank you for the "I'm Homesick" blog... honest reflection, heart-felt. I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete