Friday, August 31, 2007

to not turn away

Today I am tired. Today I am unsure of my place in this big, big city. Today I am struggling with certain passages of Scripture, aware of their straightforwardness and my own disobedience.
"Whatever you do to the least of these, you have done to Me."

"If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and filled,' without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?"
"But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes His heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?"
Ouch.
I may not like have my neat world ripped apart every five minutes as I walk these streets. But if Jesus is doing some mighty demolition in my heart, it is so that there is room for the new things He wants to build. I want to be unafraid to follow Him, even into places that appear forsaken and desolate. Places unfamiliar to the history of my heart. When the landscape starts to appear foreign, I pray that I will have enough faith to trust that He is still there. To still affirm, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever" even when everything looks different.

I think on some days I would rather have familiarity and comfort than growth. There's a little bit of raw honesty.

Jesus, please make me brave. Make me starving for you. For truth.









5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how much we constantly return to familiarity and comfort, especially if faced with the foreign? And to think that our God submerged himself in our foreign carnality out of love for the Father and mercy toward us? Yeah, I don't know how to obey Christ like that. I'm praying also for that "mighty demolition".

    II Cor. 12:9--"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." May the power of Christ rest upon you in your weakness, friend.

    bn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, You have amazing insight friend. Thanks for your honesty and for sharing the things that you are learning. I echo the verse that Billy wrote. Over and over again, the Lord brought me back to that verse. I love hearing your heart and your wisdom.
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara, I have been reading your blog today. I am moved by the graphic pictures before my eyes that are painted by your words. I would echo billy's verse. I pray that you feel it in your heart today and in the days to come. I will join those that pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lara,

    I have been so blessed by the blog entries that you have posted. You have made me laugh, cry , reflect, and yes PRAY as I have read your descriptions of India and your heart to serve God as you minister to the people there.

    I know that India, as a whole, is a very dark and difficult place for a Christian to be. But God has a place and a purpose for you there for these next few months. I will be excited to hear what unfolds as you walk in obedience to all He shows you to do and speak as you are there.

    I am praying for you, sweetie, and as I read this verse in Isaiah this morning, I was compelled to insert your name:

    "For you shall go out with joy, and be led out with peace,.." Is.55:12

    I'm so thankful for the Holy Spirit in our lives. He doesn't leave us to do His work alone. As you walk daily in His Spirit, may He grant you abundant joy and peace!

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara, dear... My prayer for you today:
    Colossians 1:9b-14:
    "...asking that (Lara) be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May (Lara)be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified (Lara) to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgivenss of sins."

    I love you and am daily praying for you. Miss your brown eyes! Jan

    ReplyDelete