Wednesday, August 29, 2007

like a child

"As a child, I think, you just want someone to delight in you."
-hannah, fellow teammate

Hannah said this yesterday as we sat in a circle in Beth's flat, processing our days together. The boys had a rough time at Kalighat; volunteers brought a man in yesterday from the train station who was, in Josh's words, "pretty much on his way to heaven." They saw him die with slow ragged breaths, and death, no matter how much this city might produce it, is like a punch in the gut. Hannah also had a hard day at the children's home. She is in a room with one other volunteer and 25-30 children, and yesterday, what hurt her tender heart was the great need and her inability to meet it all. "These kids really just want someone to stop, to hold them, to look them in the eye and tell them what they have done is beautiful, that they are beautiful." I think of my own classroom, and I agree. These children ache for someone to delight in them. Isn't that the secret cry of all our hearts? Even a few months past, at my college graduation, how important it was to have the presence of my parents, to feel their hugs and hear their words, "well done." And then I think of our Father in heaven. I want to cry like a little girl when I stop and wonder over His love, because I am Protima, I am Shuily, I am Sangeeta. I am the little child holding out my scribbled picture, wanting Someone to scoop me up in strong arms and tell me I am loved, I have always been loved, and I will forever be loved.

"The Lord your God is in your midst...
He will exult over you with loud singing."
-Zeph 3:17

2 comments:

  1. I'm experiencing the same phenomenon here. My 4th graders are always showing me their work, wanting me to approve it and tell them how they did a good job. I constantly hear, "Teacher! Finished! Look!" Perhaps this is another universal rule: our need for acceptance and approval, to only be found in the perfect life of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara,
    What a beautiful word picture you paint :) I've loved being able to catch a glimpse of your life through these posts...and with every one I read it is clearer to me that you are exactly where the Lord wants you. I hope you feel affirmed in that as you are His love to the people around you. I'm praying for you...praying that the Lord would give you continued strength to be a vessel of His truth, hope, and love...praying that you would see His face today and be renewed by His presence. I love you dear friend and I can't wait to read more of your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete